OverStrike control character

James Kass jameskasskrv at gmail.com
Fri Jun 19 23:48:00 CDT 2020

Richard Wordingham wrote,

 > Wouldn't this violate the character identity of U+2408?

U+2408 SYMBOL FOR BACKSPACE
Using a symbol for backspace in running text as a symbol for backspace
to illustrate a notational convention for overstriking shouldn’t violate
its character identity.  It was offered in response to the objections of
using the ASCII back space or other control characters because they are
not graphic characters.  U+2408 is a graphic character.

 > The proper mechanism would be to use a PUA character.

This would only be true if the data wasn’t intended to be interchangeable.

Abraham Gross wrote,

Since they’re graphic characters either should be workable.  As long as
our hypothetical user community agrees on a notational convention,
acceptable display should be possible with existing technology.  It
might be interesting to see if people with a demonstrable need to
exchange overstruck material in plain-text, such as epigraphers, already
have an established convention.

In numismatics, Yeoman’s catalogs simply spell it out for overstruck
dates, such as “1918D, 8 over 7”.