OverStrike control character

David Starner prosfilaes at gmail.com
Tue Jun 9 22:14:14 CDT 2020

On Tue, Jun 9, 2020 at 7:55 PM abrahamgross--- via Unicode
<unicode at unicode.org> wrote:

> It should just simply overlay the pixels of the two characters, with a thin character going in the center of a wider character.
>
> It shouldnt do any fancy processing by default (unless if a font actually cares enough to mess with it). Most systems have just about the same font so I wouldn't worry about the results of overstriking not coming out perfect. Even if doesn't come out perfect, I'd take almost-exact-representation over no-represtation any day.

There is a character to do that; BS. Like many other control
characters, it's now generally considered obsolete. There's no need to
provide a new character to do something that has an old character does
just fine, even if that old character is unsupported because it
doesn't fit with current design choices. Making a new character won't
change that.

--
The standard is written in English . If you have trouble understanding
a particular section, read it again and again and again . . . Sit up