Why do the Hebrew Alphabetic Presentation Forms Exist

Mark E. Shoulson mark at kli.org
Wed Jun 3 20:43:34 CDT 2020

On 6/3/20 8:21 PM, abrahamgross--- via Unicode wrote:
> What about a folded lamed? How do you think a proposal for that would
> go? I have plenty of proof of it being used in the same sentence (even
> in the same word) as a regular lamed, so its not just an alternate
> form of the same character like a and ɑ.
>

> Here are some examples:
> https://imgur.com/a/xw9Kb8Z

I think it would be a very hard sell.  Just because they're used in the
same sentence doesn't mean they aren't alternate forms of the same
character.  Sometimes there were scribal preferences, etc.  There's not
*meaning* that's different between the two LAMEDs.  There isn't any text
where it matters which one you use where, except for trying to replicate
the exact *appearance* of a document—and that is exactly the realm of
more sophisticated systems.  Unicode isn't publishing software; it isn't
supposed to replace Word.  A LAMED is a LAMED.  The example in your
picture is actually quite interesting because it looks like they either
ran out of bent LAMEDs or made a mistake or something.  The bent LAMED
was invented for reasons of typesetting: LAMED is the only letter with
an ascender, and it tended to get in the way of things with Hebrew text
being set with little or no leading and letter-height filling almost the
entire line-height.  You can see where there are straight LAMEDs on your
page, that their ascenders reach into places in the line above that
happen to be open enough not to cause problems, like spaces between
words or letters with no baseline.  Otherwise, the bent LAMED was
pressed into service, because that's what it's for.  Except... for the
one you show inside a blue box.  That should have been a bent LAMED,
because a straight one would have been bumping or almost bumping into
the TSERE above it.  But for whatever reason, they didn't use a bent
LAMED, and made do by taking a straight LAMED and cutting off its head!

Here's another way to look at it.  If you (or the original typesetter)
would have set this same text in the same font slightly differently,
maybe a little wider or narrower, or maybe with an additional word or
even footnote-mark inserted or something, would the bent LAMEDs still be
bent and the straight LAMEDs still be straight?  No!  The text would
flow differently, and some of the straight LAMEDs would have to be bent,
because they no longer had space above them, while some of the bent
LAMEDs could be straight, because in this layout there's space for them.
So there isn't anything about the LAMED in the word כל that you have
highlighted in red that makes it "straight."  That isn't a feature of
the letter in the plain text.  It's a feature of the typeset page.  Just
like there's nothing special about an "i" following an "f" (in many
fonts) that makes it have no dot; it's just a thing that happens to i
following f in those fonts, that they join into an fi ligature.  It isn't
a feature of the i, it's a feature of the typesetting.  (OK, that's a
bad example because of course fi *is* encoded, but that was due to
round-tripping considerations and other stuff that we don't like to
apply anymore.  But the idea is still useful.)

~mark