Incompleteness of Suzhou Numeral/FaMa encoding in Unicode

Fuqiao Xue xfq.free at gmail.com
Sun Jul 12 20:16:35 CDT 2020

Hello Martin,

See the examples below.

2020年7月12日(日) 16:40 Martin J. Dürst via Unicode <unicode at unicode.org>:

> Hello Nick,
>
> On 12/07/2020 15:45, Phake Nick via Unicode wrote:

[...]

> > The most important part is that, in most situation Suzhou numeral are
> > supposed to be combined together. Most of the time there will be two lines,
> > with the top line representing a string of numbers using Suzhou numerals,
> > while the bottom lines represent their place value and unit. So if the top
> > line say 123456 in Suzhou numeral and the bottom line say Hundred dollar in
> > Chinese characters, it can be undrestood as meaning $123.456.

Here's an example:[1]

〤〇〢二
十元

The first line contains the numerical values. "〤〇〢二" stands for
"4022". The second line consists of Chinese characters that represents
the order of magnitude and unit of measurement of the first digit in
the numerical representation. In this case "十元" which stands for "ten
yuan". When put together, it is then read as "40.22 yuan".

> > And then there are also various other symbols being used in Suzhou numerial
> > expressions that're not currently included as part of the encoding. For
> > example it's reported that sometimes decidollar would be represented by a
> > triangle in Suzhou numerical

I have also heard of this but unfortunately didn't find examples. It
has mostly been replaced by Arabic numerals nowadays so it's difficult
to find examples.

> > , and a Kan (a weight unit) could be
> > represented by a specific cursive version of the Chinese character of the
> > unit, joining with the digit on top and forming ligature.

I have not heard of this, nor do I know the unit "Kan". It may be 贯
(guàn in pinyin, and kan in rōmaji) or 斤 (jīn in pinyin, and kin in
rōmaji), or something I have never heard of.

> > Then there are also rotation that's supposed to take place when multiple
> > line-pattern digits sit next to each other

I have heard of this too. When the numbers "〡", "〢", "〣" are written
next to each other, in order to avoid confusion, the even digits are
rotated. For example:

〡〢〣〣〢〡 should be written as 〡二〣三〢一

[1] From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suzhou_numerals#Notations