Free emoji (from Re: Videos on YouTube)

wjgo_10009@btinternet.com via Unicode unicode at unicode.org
Wed Jan 8 11:28:18 CST 2020

Johannes Bergerhausen wrote:

> West is located in the former US embassy, a brutalist building by
> Marcel Breuer (Bauhaus):
www.westdenhaag.nl <http://www.westdenhaag.nl/>

On that web page is a link to the following web page.

http://www.westdenhaag.nl/exhibitions/20_02_Alphabetum_6

The title of the exhibition is

FREE EMOJI

There is some interesting text on the page.

How would such emoji be encoded?

I am wondering how this relates, if at all, to QID emoji.

The concept of QID emoji has been put forward, and it is far-reaching in
its implications for the future.

However, it does mean that someone wanting a new emoji would need to go
through the QID database process.

If, in the United Kingdom, someone writes a poem, or a novel, or indeed
anything, and publishes it, whether in hardcopy or on the web, then no
permission is needed to do so, though the content is subject to legal
constraints. There are certain requirements relating to Legal Deposit.

https://www.bl.uk/legal-deposit

So what if such freedom were to apply to introducing a new emoji?

For example, if I produce an ebook and I want to include a reference
code, I have the option, in the Serif PagePlus X7 desktop publishing
software that I use, of using a UUID (Universally Unique Identifier), or
an ISBN (International Standard Book Number), or something custom.

I have not produced any ebooks other than, as learning exercises, a few
tests that I have not published.

I looked at UUID and it seems to me that a randomly generated UUID code
is not unique at an absolute level. ISBN needs registration with payment
being involved. Yet there is always custom.

So if there were to be free emoji as mentioned in the text for that
exhibition, how could they be encoded for interoperability? Does the
exhibition address that issue?

Maybe publish a PDF and send it for legal deposit with a code of some
sort and then that is regarded as a precedent? Or what?

What would a custom code be like? Maybe the author's initials followed
by a serial number, then interchange being by using a tag sequence after
a (new, not yet encoded?) base character of the tag character version
each of those characters that are in the custom code? Lots of potential
problems there too.

What are the options?

If someone on this list is visiting the exhibition, a write up posted in
this mailing list would be welcome please, at least, by me, and maybe by
some other participants too.

William Overington

Wednesday 8 January 2020