Re: Unicode is universal, so how come that universality doesn’t apply to digits?

Zach Lym indolering at gmail.com
Tue Dec 29 12:37:41 CST 2020

Trying to reboot this conversation, what *demand* is there for supporting
non-latin digits?

AFAICT [1], most literate adults use latin digits (0-9) for basic math in
North America, South America, Europe, Australia, and countries using a CJK
script.  Online stores and license plates for the UAE and India lists
prices using latin digits.  By process of elimination [2], language groups
that don't use latin numerals drops to <100 million.

If those numbers are accurate, then there isn't enough of a critical mass
to justify the implementation effort.  Not if you aren't also going to
translate keywords....

Thank you,
-Zach Lym

[1]: