Italics get used to express important semantic meaning, so unicode should support them

Martin J. Dürst duerst at it.aoyama.ac.jp
Thu Dec 17 02:22:14 CST 2020

On 17/12/2020 03:05, Doug Ewell via Unicode wrote:
> abrahamgross wrote:
>
>>> Children learn to write with upper case and lower case letters in
>>> school, and most people continue to use both as adults. (There are
>>> exceptions of course, some people write only with lower case, and
>>> some only with upper case.)
>>
>> Unicode refused to encode arabic letter variants (not counting
>> compatibility chars), which are taught in school and adults use it,
>> and its how arabic is written, so ur argument here doesn't hold water.
>
> I'm not sure what to make of that sentence. That's like saying "Unicode refused to encode the capital letter A (not counting U+0041)."
>
> The compatibility characters are exactly how one is supposed to represent Arabic letter forms outside of their normal context, as described here.

Not necessarily. The 'official' way of representing specific contextual
Arabic letter forms outside of their usual context is to prefix or
postfix them with the appropriate JOINER or NON-JOINER characters. So
there is indeed a non-compatibility encoding for these letter variants
in Unicode, even if they appear out of context.

What's of course more important is that in their usual context (and
that's the way they are usually taught and used), these contextual
variants don't need to be encoded because both humans and computers can
do the shaping 'automatically'.

Neither something like JOINERS, nor context work as well for the upper
case / lower case distinction, and that's why it's fair to say that one
reason for encoding this distinction (in Unicode as well as in many
predecessor encodings) is that the distinction is learned in school and
made in handwriting.

Regards,   Martin.