Re: Unicode is universal, so how come that universality doesn’t apply to digits?

Bill Poser billposer2 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 16 15:32:48 CST 2020

It seems to me that, in spite of the superficial similarity of the way
numbers are written in many languages, this is NOT, in general, a matter of
encoding conversion or even transliteration but rather one of translation
and therefore not part of Unicode for the same reason that Unicode does not
handle the translation of text from, say, Japanese to English.

There is, actually, a library, which I have written, that handles
conversions between Unicode strings and integers for most systems of
writing numbers. (I have yet to update it to handle some of the more
recently encoded systems.) It is a C library which also has a TCL binding:

http://billposer.org/Software/libuninum.html

It handles a number of systems that require algorithms rather different
from that of atoi/strtol.

Bill