Italics get used to express important semantic meaning, so unicode should support them

Asmus Freytag asmusf at ix.netcom.com
Sat Dec 12 22:03:58 CST 2020

On 12/12/2020 7:20 PM, Doug Ewell via Unicode wrote:
> We do understand that not every possible nuance of human communication, such as shades of emphasis, can be expressed in plain text. It seems that the nearly 30-year-old Unicode definition of "plain text" still has not caught on universally, since requests continue to emerge for UTC to encode things that are not plain text by that definition.

If you go against an established method/truth/system/consensus/anything
and win, you'll be famous. That's the lure that keeps people up at night
trying to create a /perpetuum mobile/.

Problem is, that chances of that winning are usually more than elusive.

Doesn't prevent people from trying.

If conservation of energy, posited by Julius von Mayer in 1842 and
well-tested in the over 150 years since then, does not prevent people
trying the impossible, then why should 30 years of Unicode be sufficient :)

A./