Italics get used to express important semantic meaning, so unicode should support them

Martin J. Dürst duerst at it.aoyama.ac.jp
Sat Dec 12 19:25:06 CST 2020

Asmus gives a lot of good reasons below. Here are some more:

Children learn to write with upper case and lower case letters in
school, and most people continue to use both as adults. (There are
exceptions of course, some people write only with lower case, and some
only with upper case.) On the other hand, people who distinguish upright
and italic in handwriting are extremely rare (maybe limited to editors
of certain journals?).

Also, case is important in names. It's Ludwig van Beethoven, not Ludwig
Van Beethoven, and LeBron James, not Lebron James. Italics don't come
into consideration here at all.

For all these reasons, the upper/lower case distinction was and is also
available on typewriters and keyboards. Again not so for italic.

Regards,   Martin.