Will TAGALOG LETTER RA, currently in the pipeline, be in the next version of Unicode?

Fred Brennan via Unicode unicode at unicode.org
Sat Oct 12 05:15:38 CDT 2019

On Saturday, October 12, 2019 6:28:01 AM PST Rebecca Bettencourt via Unicode
wrote:
> This proposal was special in that it was asking the Unicode Consortium to
> recognize a character that was already being used unofficially, so that
> organizations like the Google Noto team who are sticklers for Unicode
> compliance would include it. :)

Indeed - it is extremely unfortunate that users will need to wait until
2021(!) to get it into Unicode so Google will finally add it to the Noto
fonts.

There seems to be no conscionable reason for such a long delay after the
approval.

If that's just how things are done, fine, I certainly can't change the whole
system. But imagine if you had to wait two years to even have a chance of
using a letter you desperately need to write your language? Imagine if the
letter "Q" was unencoded and Noto refused to add it for two more years?