Will TAGALOG LETTER RA, currently in the pipeline, be in the next version of Unicode?

Ken Whistler via Unicode unicode at unicode.org
Fri Oct 11 12:17:19 CDT 2019

Short answer is no.

The characters in the pipeline section labeled "Characters Accepted for
Version 13.0" are what will be in the beta review for 13.0 (look for
that sometime next month), and then eventually in the published Version
13.0 next month:

https://www.unicode.org/alloc/Pipeline.html#planned_next_version

Characters listed in the "Characters for Future Versions" table:

https://www.unicode.org/alloc/Pipeline.html#future

are not yet targeted for any particular version. Many of them, including
the Tagalog letter RA, will end up published in Unicode 14.0, but the
detailed decisions on what makes it into Unicode 14.0 won't happen until
sometime next summer.

Production of new versions of the Unicode Standard is a ponderous and
lengthy operation, involving 4 UTC meetings, uncounted subcommittee
meetings, dozens of specifications, hundreds of character properties,
thousands of characters, hundreds of fonts, and intricate charts and QA
process. It doesn't happen at the drop of a hat, which is why we
schedule a full year for each new major release.

So, in general, no, you can *never* assume that once the UTC has just
approved a new character that it will be in the next version of Unicode.

--Ken