Encoding the Nsibidi script (African) for writing the Igbo language

Philippe Verdy via Unicode unicode at unicode.org
Mon Nov 11 16:37:56 CST 2019

Names of this script can very a bit "Nsibidi", "Nsibiri", but not a lot
(d/r variation may be phonetic remonization in one of the supported
languages). It is stable across various sites.

Uniqueness is quite easy to assert, there's not a lot of ideographic
scripts, at least in modern use. But still not as complex as Chinese
scripts. The site speaks about a inventory of about 500 base characters (in
the first educational books), probably the double (in which case it
compares to the modern use of sinograms in China for children, whereas
adults use only about 2000 signs for almost everything, compare to the same
average of 2000 common words in Indo-European languages, and in Afroasiatic
or Nilo-Saharan languages; Igbo is still a minority language, and most of
their speakers have low level of litteracy, even in Latin or Arabic scripts
and due to the proliferation of vernacualr languages, they may as well use
about 500-1000 basic words to understand each other).

anyway, I suppose that you were already aware of that script, but were just
looking for more evidences to have some comparative researches from a few
more sources (lack of interest or finances for linguistic projects in
Africa, that prefer placing their efforts in major scripts that have
official national support in their educational and cultural programs:
Latin, Arabic, Ethiopic, Tifinagh; other scripts are still of interest due
to their important historic background and centuries of propagation across
countries or caused by wars, invasions, diplomacy, or commercial interests)