Encoding italic

Asmus Freytag (c) via Unicode unicode at unicode.org
Fri Jan 25 01:25:12 CST 2019

On 1/24/2019 11:14 PM, Tex wrote:

> I am surprised at the length of this debate, especially since the
> arguments are repetitive…
>
> That said:
>
> Twitter was offered as an example, not the only example just one of
> the most ubiquitous. Many messaging apps and other apps would benefit
> from italics. The argument is not based on adding italics to twitter.
>
> Most apps today have security protections that filter or translate
> problematic characters. If the proposal would cause “normalization”
> problems, adding the proposed characters to the filter lists or
> substitution lists would not be a big burden.
>
> The biggest burden would be to the apps that would benefit, to add
> italicizing and editing capabilities.

The "normalization" is when you import to rich text, you don't want
competing formatting instructions. Getting styled character codes
normalized to styling of character runs is the most difficult, that's
why the abuse of math italics really is abuse in terms of interoperability.

Other schemes, like a VS per code point, also suffer from being
different in philosophy from "standard" rich text approaches. Best would
be as standard extension to all the messaging systems (e.g. a common
markdown language, supported by UI).

A./