A last missing link for interoperable representation

Mark E. Shoulson via Unicode unicode at unicode.org
Mon Jan 14 20:02:42 CST 2019

On 1/13/19 10:00 PM, Martin J. Dürst via Unicode wrote:
> On 2019/01/14 01:46, Julian Bradfield via Unicode wrote:
>> On 2019-01-12, Richard Wordingham via Unicode <unicode at unicode.org> wrote:
>>> On Sat, 12 Jan 2019 10:57:26 +0000 (GMT)
>>> And what happens when you capitalise a word for emphasis or to begin a
>>> sentence?  Is it no longer the same word?
>> Indeed. As has been observed up-thread, the casing idea is a dumb one!
>> We are, however, stuck with it because of legacy encoding transported
>> into Unicode. We aren't stuck with encoding fonts into Unicode.
> No, the casing idea isn't actually a dumb one.

Well, for me, when I say or said that the "casing idea" is a dumb one, I
don't mean how Unicode handled it.  Unicode is quite correct in encoding
capitals distinctly from lowercase, both for computer-historical reasons
and others you mention.  I think the idea of having case in alphabets
_in the first place_ was a bad move.  It's a "mistake" that happened
centuries ago.

~mark