A last missing link for interoperable representation

Marcel Schneider via Unicode unicode at unicode.org
Mon Jan 14 09:38:26 CST 2019

On 14/01/2019 04:00, Martin J. Dürst via Unicode wrote:
[…]
> […] As Asmus has shown, one of the best ways to understand what
> Unicode does with respect to text variants is that style works on
> spans of characters (words,...), and is rich text, but thinks that
> work on single characters are handled in plain text. Upper-case is
> definitely for most part a single-character phenomenon (the recent
> Georgian MTAVRULI additions being the exception).

Obviously the single-character rule also applies to superscript when
used as ordinal indicator or more generally, as abbreviation indicator.

Thanks for the hint, it’s all about interoperability and in this case
too the point in using preformatted characters is a good one IIUC.

Sorry for getting a little off-topic. There’s also one reply on my
to-do list where I’ll do even more so; can’t help given it’s our
digital representation that’s at stake, and due to past neglect on
either side there’s still a need to painfully lobby for each
character while so many other important issues are out there…

Best Regards,

Marcel