USE Indic Syllabic Category

梁海 Liang Hai via Unicode unicode at unicode.org
Sat Feb 23 00:46:27 CST 2019

>>> once the USE acknowledges that subjoined consonants may follow
>>> vowels
>>
>> I expect to update the USE spec to address this soon.
>
> That seems welcome news.  I still don't know what the problem with
> supporting them has been.

USE wasn’t designed to allow such a syllable structure. Tai Tham’s being supported by USE is kind of an oversight. And although it’s appropriate to allow conjoined consonants to follow post-base-spacing vowel signs, it’s not really a trivial debate whether USE should allow conjoined consonants to non-post-base-spacing (ie, pre-base, above-base, and below-base) vowel signs—considering the ambiguity.

Best,
梁海 Liang Hai
https://lianghai.github.io