USE Indic Syllabic Category

Richard Wordingham via Unicode unicode at unicode.org
Fri Feb 22 19:47:36 CST 2019

On Fri, 22 Feb 2019 22:19:25 +0000
Andrew Glass <Andrew.Glass at microsoft.com> wrote:

> Thank you Richard for pointing out the issue with 0x1A7A
> I've looked into this and found an error in our tooling that has this
> mapped this to Halant. Based on the spec this should be VAbv. I've
> filed a bug.

Thanks.  Will the correction be rolled out to all Microsoft
Windows 10 customers at about the same time?  I appreciate that
corporate customers may impose their own extra, internal delays - my
employer is still on Windows 7.

In the meantime, I've updated my fonts (Da Lekh and Lamphun) to
correct the problem.  However, such corrections run the risk of wrongly
deleting dotted circles that come from the backing store, and so are
not Unicode-compliant.  The sooner I can remove the corrections, the
better.

> > Where can I find the InSc properties of characters as overridden
> > for the USE of Windows?
> 	USE spec includes overrides to ISC and IPC:
> 	https://docs.microsoft.com/en-gb/typography/script-development/use#overrides

I had the impression there were more overrides than just those.

> > once the USE acknowledges that subjoined consonants may follow
> > vowels
> 	I expect to update the USE spec to address this soon.

That seems welcome news.  I still don't know what the problem with
supporting them has been.