Proposal for BiDi in terminal emulators

Eli Zaretskii via Unicode unicode at unicode.org
Sun Feb 3 12:07:51 CST 2019

> Date: Sun, 3 Feb 2019 17:45:06 +0000
> From: Richard Wordingham via Unicode <unicode at unicode.org>
>
> > > So, what do you recommend I run grep from for Hebrew or Tai Lue?
> >
> > Inside Emacs, of course: "M-x grep RET" etc.
>
> That assumes you like using bindings for all the commands; I don't.

What bindings?  "M-x grep" just shows the Grep hits in a separate
window, you don't need to do anything except reading them.

The advantage is that you get bidi reordering and text shaping for
free, something you won't get from most terminals.

> Command recall and having completion options serve me very well.  Your
> suggestion comes unstuck when I attempt to switch between the window's
> keyboard and the MULE keyboard in the middle of the command.  'M-x'
> isn't recursive.

This isn't an Emacs forum, so I will leave it at that; but you are
wrong on all counts.