Proposal for BiDi in terminal emulators

Richard Wordingham via Unicode unicode at unicode.org
Sat Feb 2 20:43:06 CST 2019

On Sun, 03 Feb 2019 02:01:18 +0100
Kent Karlsson via Unicode <unicode at unicode.org> wrote:

> Den 2019-02-02 16:12, skrev "Richard Wordingham via Unicode"
> <unicode at unicode.org>:

> > Doesn't Jerusalem in biblical Hebrew sometime have 3 marks below the
> > lamedh?  The depth then is the maximum depth, not the sum of the
> > depths.
>
> Do you want to view/edit such texts on a terminal emulator? (Rather
> than a GUI window.)
>
> > Tai Lue has 'mai sat 3 lem' - that's three marks above for a
> > combination common enough to have a name.
<snip>

> I don't question that as such. But again, do you want to view/edit
> such texts on a **terminal emulator**?

Oddly, I feel happier running bash on Gnome-terminal than an emacs
shell process.  What GUI window Perhaps I'm spoilt by some of the
features like colour.  Maybe I'd be happier if I could work how to
get bash's emacs mode to work when running under emacs.  I'd be grepping
such material rather than viewing it. Moreover, I may be looking
through a lot of files rather than viewing a single one.

> It is just that such things are likely to graphically overflow the
> "cell" boundaries, unless the cells are disproportionately high (i.e.
> double or so line spacing). Doesn't really sound like a terminal
> emulator... I do not think terminal emulators should be used for
> ALL kinds of text.

I don't need fixed-width cells.  But otherwise, there are uses for both
terminal emulators and teletype emulators.

Different scripts (and languages within a script for that matter) merit
different cell aspect ratios.

So, what do you recommend I run grep from for Hebrew or Tai Lue?