Proposal for BiDi in terminal emulators

Richard Wordingham via Unicode unicode at unicode.org
Sat Feb 2 09:12:47 CST 2019

On Sat, 02 Feb 2019 14:01:46 +0100
Kent Karlsson via Unicode <unicode at unicode.org> wrote:

> Den 2019-02-02 12:17, skrev "Egmont Koblinger" <egmont at gmail.com>:

> > Most terminal emulators handle non-spacing combining marks, it's a
> > piece of cake. (Spacing marks are more problematic.)

> Well, I guess you may need to put some (practical) limit to the number
> of non-spacing marks (like max two above + max one below; overstrikes
> are an edge case). Otherwise one may need to either increase the line
> height (bad idea for a terminal emulator I think) or the marks start
> to visually interfere with text on other lines (even with the hinted
> limits there may be some interference), also a bad idea for a terminal
> emulator. So I'm not so sure that non-spacing marks is a piece of
> cake... (I.e., need to limit them.)

Doesn't Jerusalem in biblical Hebrew sometime have 3 marks below the
lamedh?  The depth then is the maximum depth, not the sum of the
depths.

Tai Lue has 'mai sat 3 lem' - that's three marks above for a
combination common enough to have a name.  Throw in the repetition mark
and that's four marks above if you treat the subscript consonant as a
mark (or code it to comply with the USE's erroneous grammar).