Proposal to add Roman transliteration schemes to ISO 15924.

Richard Wordingham via Unicode unicode at unicode.org
Tue Dec 3 15:43:52 CST 2019

On Tue, 3 Dec 2019 17:35:14 +0530
विश्वासो वासुकिजः (Vishvas Vasuki) via Unicode <unicode at unicode.org>
wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 3, 2019 at 3:48 PM Richard Wordingham via Unicode <
> unicode at unicode.org> wrote:

> > On Tue, 3 Dec 2019 02:05:35 +0000
> > Richard Wordingham via Unicode <unicode at unicode.org> wrote:

> The text in IAST that I encounter seems not to have ansuvara before
> > stop consonants.

> That's typical.
> Whatever the source script (if there is one), IAST tends to be used by
> people who follow the sanskrit devanAgarI conventions pretty strictly
> (so ends up being transcription rather than transliteration.)

> > I believe 'sa' would naturally expand (are there
> > non-void prescribed rules on this?) as sa-Deva-IN, so perhaps the
> > sa-Latn I usually see is unusual as sa-t-m0-iast and the description
> > should be expanded to at least sa-t-m0-sa-150-iast if sa-Latn is not
> > precise enough.

> Not sure what 150 is doing there..

I read, but in an old book, that when Sanskrit was printed in
Devanagari, clusters phonetically composed of nasal plus plosive were
written using the nasal consonant, but in India were printed using
anusvara.  The Sanskrit version of the UN Declaration of Human Rights
at Unicode (https://unicode.org/udhr/d/udhr_san.html) conforms to this
pattern by using anusvara instead of clusters, but I don't know where
the translation actually came from.

Accordingly, I thought that to get clusters instead of anusvara before
plosives, I should select Sanskrit as used in Europe, as opposed to
Sanskrit as used in India.  '150' is the region code for Europe.