Rendering Sanskrit Medial Sequences -vy- and -ry- in Myanmar

Richard Wordingham via Unicode unicode at unicode.org
Tue Aug 20 21:08:37 CDT 2019

On Tue, 20 Aug 2019 22:43:43 +0000
Andrew Glass via Unicode <unicode at unicode.org> wrote:

> The order of medials in Myanmar clusters is constrained by UTN
> #11<http://www.unicode.org/notes/tn11/>. So yes, you do need to
> follow the preferred order for Myanmar even if the sequence does not
> match phonetic order.

Are we are allowed to write Llangollen as the definition of the
Unicode Collation Algorithm implies we should, with an invisible CGJ
between the 'n' and the 'g', so that it will collate correctly in
Welsh?  That CGJ is necessary so that it will collate *after*
Llanberis. (The problem is that the letter 'ng' comes before the letter
'n'.)

Welsh is a European language, so I believe it has the right to
strive to have its words collated correctly.  But perhaps I'm wrong.