Re: Is ARMENIAN ABBREVIATION MARK (՟, U+055F) misclassified?

Doug Ewell via Unicode unicode at unicode.org
Fri Apr 26 18:08:08 CDT 2019

Fredrick Brennan wrote:

> Although my research on this has by no means been exhaustive, it
> seems at a cursory glance that the «pativ», the Armenian abbreviation
> mark, is misclassified; it seems it should either be itself a
> combining mark or have a combining mark version.
>
> I have not been able to find a single Unicode font which treats it as
> such, however.

Using BabelPad on Windows 10, with the sequence <0531, 0532, 0533, 055F> (ayb, ben, gim, abbreviation mark), the following fonts show the abbreviation mark correctly over the gim:

Calibri
Cambria
Cambria Math
Nishiki-teki
Trebuchet MS

All of these except Nishiki-teki are standard Windows fonts.

This is a small percentage of the number of fonts that have all four of these Armenian glyphs, but show the abbreviation mark as a spacing glyph. It looks like Unicode is right, Wikipedia is right, and the fonts are wrong.

--
Doug Ewell | Thornton, CO, US | ewellic.org