UCD in XML or in CSV?

Richard Wordingham via Unicode unicode at unicode.org
Sat Sep 1 06:35:32 CDT 2018

On Fri, 31 Aug 2018 10:36:45 +0200
Manuel Strehl via Unicode <unicode at unicode.org> wrote:

> For me it's currently much easier to have all the data in a single
> place, e.g. a large XML file, than spread over a multitude of files
> _with different ad-hoc syntaxes_.
>
> The situation would possibly be different, though, if the UCD data
> would be split in several files of the same format. (Be it JSON, CSV,
> YAML, XML, TOML, whatever. Just be consistent.)

Most properties are stored in pretty much the same format in the UCD
files. UnicodeData.txt is the major exception; it seems to date from
when the set of properties was expected to be stable.

The big exception is set-valued properties.  PropList.txt can be viewed
as having an odd syntax for storing the set of miscellaneous Boolean
properties for which the codepoint has the value of 'true'.