Aleph-umlaut

Mark E. Shoulson via Unicode unicode at unicode.org
Mon Nov 12 19:48:39 CST 2018

You know, you're right (as is Beth), and I don't know why I'm arguing
the point.  It's something I've been working on: I shouldn't defend a
position JUST because it's _my_ position, and yet that's just what I did.

So, yes, it certainly does seem essentially German.  I couldn't say why
they chose to write this part in German, or why they chose to transcribe
it in Hebrew letters, really.  I assumed Yiddish probably because of the
context and the alphabet used, but there's no reason for it not to be
German.  Now, the pamphlet originated from Kloizenberg, i.e.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cluj-Napoca which is in Romania, but
German was probably enough of a lingua franca (after all, Yiddish
developed from it for that reason).  And the text being basically German
would explain the aleph-umlaut which was the start of all this, though
it doesn't so much need an "explanation": it's interesting enough that
it's _there_.  Also interesting that no other umlauted letters were
considered distinct enough to be transcribed so (or else they just
happened not to show up).  There are probably mildly interesting things
(depending on your interests) to be gleaned from studying how the
transliterations, how they seemed to use ע for word-final "e" in "die"
in some places but א in others, etc.

Anyway, still interesting, I thought.

~mark