Aleph-umlaut

Beth Myre via Unicode unicode at unicode.org
Sun Nov 11 22:28:01 CST 2018

Hi All,

I wanted to clarify how I got this:

*Wir sind uns dessen bewusst, dass von Seite der Gegenpartei weder Reue(?),
noch Einsicht zu erwarten ist und dass sie die Konsequenzen
dieser rabbinischen Gutachten von sich abschüttelen werden mit der
Motivierung, dass:*

As a (non-native) German speaker who knows the Hebrew alphabet, I looked at
the text, and then wrote the text contained in it using conventional German
spelling.  I spelled abschütteln wrong.  I didn't change the word order or
vocabulary.  The translation into English was also my own.  The spelling of
the word 'Reue' surprised me and one of the letters looked odd, so I put a
question mark after it.

I wasn't transliterating letter-for-letter, which wouldn't be possible
because certain letters written next to each other produce specific
sounds.  For example, the Hebrew letters yud-yud make the German sound
'ei,' and the letters vav-vav make the German sound 'w.'  The Hebrew
alphabet just provides different material to work with than the Latin
alphabet.  Speaking of, it will soon be Chanukah/Hanukkah/Hanukah!  :)

The transliteration created by a computer program in one of the previous
emails makes the text look more Yiddish-y than it is, probably because it
was expecting Yiddish.  It also made several clear errors.  A few examples,
some of which Mark mentioned:
- The Hebrew letter aleph was always transliterated as 'a.'  However,
whenever it had the small vowel symbol that looks like a 'T' underneath it,
it should have been an 'o.'  And in several locations it's a 'shtumer
aleph' (a.k.a. silent aleph) that's basically just carrying the letter used
for 'u,' so it shouldn't be included at all.
- It was inconsistent in how it transliterated the Hebrew letter 'yud,'
sometimes making it an 'i' but more often a 'y.' The 'y' makes it look like
Yiddish, but they're both valid.  It's also used in other parts of the text
for the German 'j.'
- It skipped the 'n' in 'Gegenpartei,' although it's definitely present in
the text.  There's also an 'h' after the 't,' so the word is basically
spelled "Gegenparthei."
- It missed the difference between the 'f' sound and the 'p' sound, which
is represented in the text by the presence or absence of a small line over
the same Hebrew letter.

Mark, you asked why I brought up the question of whether this is Yiddish or
German.  They're two separate but related languages, and I thought this
text was really interesting because it turned out not to be what I was
expecting.  I'm not a scholar, and I didn't realize that anyone ever wrote
in German using Hebrew letters.  It's a struggle for me to understand
Yiddish and my Hebrew is limited.  Being able to understand entire
paragraphs written in Hebrew letters is a rare treat for me.

Beth