preliminary proposal: New Unicode characters for Arabic music half-flat and half-sharp symbols

Hans Åberg via Unicode unicode at unicode.org
Sun May 27 17:36:02 CDT 2018

The flats and sharps of Arabic music are semantically the same as in Western music, departing from Pythagorean tuning, then, but the microtonal accidentals are different: they simply reused some that were available. By contrast, Persian music notation invented new microtonal accidentals, called the koron and sori, and my impression is that their average value, as measured by Hormoz Farhat in his thesis, is also usable in Arabic music. For comparison, I have posted the Arabic maqam in Helmholtz-Ellis notation [1] using this value; note that one actually needs two extra microtonal accidentals—Arabic microtonal notation is in fact not complete.

The E24 exact quarter-tones are suitable for making a piano sound badly out of tune. Compare that with the accordion in [2], Farid El Atrache - "Noura-Noura".

1. https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2016-02/msg00607.html
2. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvp6fo7tfpk