preliminary proposal: New Unicode characters for Arabic music half-flat and half-sharp symbols

Garth Wallace via Unicode unicode at unicode.org
Sun May 27 15:18:43 CDT 2018

Philippe is entirely correct here. The fact that a symbol has somewhat
different meanings in different contexts does not mean that it is actually
multiple visually identical symbols. Otherwise Unicode would be re-encoding
the Latin alphabet many, many times over.

During most of Bach's career, the prevailing tuning system was meantone. He
wrote the Well-Tempered Clavier to explore the possibilities afforded by a
new tuning system called well temperament. In the modern era, his work has
typically been played in 12-tone equal temperament. That does not mean that
the ♯ that Bach used in his score for the Well-Tempered Clavier was not the
same symbol as the ♯ in his other scores, or that they somehow invisibly
became yet another symbol when the score is opened on the music desk of a
modern Steinway.