A sketch with the best-known Swiss tongue twister

Philippe Verdy via Unicode unicode at unicode.org
Fri Mar 9 06:52:54 CST 2018

So the "best-known Swiss tongue" is still not so much known, and still
incorrectly referenced (frequently confused with "Swiss German", which is
much like standard High German, unifying with it on most aspects, with only
minor orthographic preferences such as capitalization rules or very few
Swiss-specific terms, but no alteration of the grammar and no specific
characters like in Alemanic dialects; the term "Swiss tongue" in the
context given by the video is obviously false).
Note tht Schwäbisch is way far from it. What looks more like the Swiss
dialects of Alemanic if French Alsatian, it is not "Swiss", and don't tell
Alsatians that this is "German" when there are clear differences with the
language on the other side of the Rhine River, and lot of differences with
Schwäbish (which is much more a distinct language than a dialect of
Alemannic or German). Same remark about Tyrol and Bavarian (they are
probably nearer from Schwäbish than Swiss or French Alemannic, or than
Standard High German; their difference with Schwäbish is almost like the
difference between Standard Dutch and Limburgish or West Flämisch; Standard
Dutch, Standard German, French/Swiss Alemanic, and Schwäbisch are enough
differentiated to be distinct languages). The term "Alemannic" is way too
large, but calling it "Swiss German" is also wrong (even if its ISO 639-3
code is "gsw", probably taken from this incorrect name).