[Unicode] Re: Fonts and font sizes used in the Unicode

suzuki toshiya via Unicode unicode at unicode.org
Mon Mar 5 11:03:27 CST 2018

Hi,

I remember, the front page of the code charts by
Unicode has following note:

<quote>
Fonts
The shapes of the reference glyphs used in these code
charts are not prescriptive. Considerable variation is
to be expected in actual fonts. The particular fonts
used in these charts were provided to the Unicode
Consortium by a number of different font designers,
who own the rights to the fonts.

See http://www.unicode.org/charts/fonts.html for a list.
</quote>

--

I have a question; if some people try to make a
translated version of Unicode, they should contact

If I understand correctly, ISO/IEC JTC1 hold the
copyright of the materials used in the published
documents of JTC1 standard, because they have to
permit the production of the translated version of
their standards, the reuse of the content of a spec
by another spec, etc.

Thus, I guess, it would not be so irrelevant to ask
the permission to JTC1, about the fonts used in
ISO/IEC 10646 - although it does not mean that
JTC1 would permit anything. If I'm misunderstanding,
please correct me.

Regards,
mpsuzuki