Unicode Emoji 11.0 characters now ready for adoption!

Christoph Päper via Unicode unicode at unicode.org
Fri Mar 2 08:22:36 CST 2018

F'up2: cldr-users at unicode.org

Doug Ewell via unicode at unicode.org:

> I think that is a measurement of locale coverage -- whether the
> collation tables and translations of "a.m." and "p.m." and "a week ago
> Thursday" are correct and verified -- not character coverage.

By the way, the binary `am` vs. `pm` distinction common in English and labelled `a` as a placeholder in CLDR formats is too simplistic for some languages when using the 12-hour clock (which they usually don't in written language). In German, for instance, you would always use a format with `B` instead (i.e. "morgens", "mittags", "abends", "nachts" or no identifier during daylight).

How and where can I best suggest to change this in CLDR? The B formats have their own code, e.g. `Bhms` = `h:mm:ss B`. Should I just propose to set `hms` etc. to the same value next time the Survey Tool is open?

In my experience, there are too few people reviewing even the "largest" languages (like German). I participated in v32 and v33, but other than me there were only contributions from (seemingly) a single employee from each of Apple, Google and Microsoft. Most improvements or corrections I suggested just got lost, i.e. nobody discussed or voted on them, so the old values remained.