The Unicode Standard and ISO

Marcel Schneider via Unicode unicode at unicode.org
Thu Jun 7 22:32:51 CDT 2018

On Thu, 7 Jun 2018 22:46:12 +0300, Erkki I. Kolehmainen via Unicode wrote:

> I cannot but fully agree with Mark and Michael.
>
> Sincerely

Thank you for confirming. All witnesses concur to invalidate the statement about
uniqueness of ISO/IEC 10646 ‐ Unicode synchrony. — After being invented in its
actual form, sorting was standardized simultaneously in ISO/IEC 14651 and in
Unicode Collation Algorithm, the latter including practice‐oriented extra features.
Since then, these two standards are kept in synchrony uninterruptedly.

Getting people to correct the overall response was not really my initial concern,
however. What bothered me before I learned that Unicode refuses to cooperate
with ISO/IEC JTC1 SC22 is that the registration of the French locale in CLDR is
still surprisingly incomplete despite the meritorious efforts made by the actual
contributors, and then after some investigation, that the main part of the potential
French contributors are prevented from cooperating because Unicode refuses to
cooperate with ISO/IEC on locale data while ISO/IEC 15897 predates CLDR,
reportedly after many attempts made to merge both standards, remaining
unsuccessful without any striking exposure or friendly agreement to avoid kind of
an impression of unconcerned rebuff.

Best regards,

Marcel