Variation Sequences (and L2-11/059)

William_J_G Overington via Unicode unicode at unicode.org
Tue Jul 17 08:07:39 CDT 2018

WJGO >> My suggestion is to use for each desired glyph a sequence consisting of three characters, and then have an OpenType font decode them so that the glyph can be displayed.

JSB >This is a prohibitive requirement, because for years there is the lack of font creators interested in old Polish.

Well, I have not been aware of any call for participation. It seems an interesting project.

I make OpenType fonts using the FontCreator program.

There is an active forum with helpful people participating.

So you could if you wish try to make your own font and receive help or you could f you wish ask if people might like to join in the research project and make fonts.

https://forum.high-logic.com/

JSB > I perceive your proposal as "visible variant selectors for private variation sequences", as a text encoded this way can be easily converted into a text using real variant selectors.

JSB > I think it might be a reasonable temporary solution, but not the ultimate one.

Well, based on the present practice of the way that ZERO WIDTH JOINER is being used for encoding emoji, I opine that it has the potential to be a permanent formally-encoded solution.

JSB > I would expect arguments that is has no obvious advantage over variations sequences.

Well, when I looked at the IVD database information it seems to use plane 14 characters.

As a practical consideration, my suggestion has the advantage that it only use plane 0 characters.

William Overington

Tuesday 17 July 2018