Keyboard layouts and CLDR

Philippe Verdy via Unicode unicode at unicode.org
Wed Jan 31 17:30:45 CST 2018

The spell checker I was invoking was to allow fixing basic the typography
(e.g. the ae and oe ligatures contextually, it does not have to be a full
spell checker, but only concentrate on the typography, not the orthography,
most transforms should be limited to one or two characters, so that it is a
true "input mode", It could fix the leading capitals with accents : you
type the normal accent and it gets capitalized for you; the apostrophe does
not need a spell checker, the key produces directly the curly apostrophe
U+2019 and not the vertical apostrophe from ASCII in the
technical/programmer's mode)
But multiple layouts available in one click allows setting a context for
automatic transforms, or for typing more advanced character subsets.

The two codes in ISO639-2 are just suggested for a visual distinction (in
the language bar that displays "FRA" only for French, but does not display
the layout currently used) instead of appending some digit (a layout
number) to distinguish it. The language bar unfortunately does not clearly
display the layout in current use, but a combination of a language+layout
can have a visible code so that pressing a single key will make the change
visible: the layout selector can really be used as an input mode selector
which complements the existing mode keys (Shift, Ctrl, Alt, AltGr).

Even the touch keyboard in Windows has several layouts builtin (including
the Emoji selector, and some input modes where you can maintain a key
pressed to have a choice of "related" characters: the layout is really
different on screen, but I don't see why it cannot change also on the
physical keyboard, and made visible correctly also on the full layout of
the touch input panel, where key labels change dynamically according to the
state of mode keys). Additionally each application has its own input mode
builtin (own language and own layout), so the input mode in one app is not
necessarily the same as another app on the same screen, depending on which
one has the input focus.

Even within the same application, you could have several input areas using
different input modes, and depending on where you put the focus, the app
can automatically memoize its input mode when we leave a text input field
and restore it when we reenter it. The top bar of the touch panel is a
precious area where we can give more visual info...