Keyboard layouts and CLDR (was: Re: 0027, 02BC, 2019, or a new character?)

Philippe Verdy via Unicode unicode at unicode.org
Wed Jan 31 13:26:42 CST 2018

> Note the French "touch" keyboard layout is complete for French (provided
> you select the one of the 3 new layouts with Emoji: it has the extra "key"
> for selecting the input language in all 4 layouts)
>
> But the "full" (dockable) touch layout in French which emulates a physical
> keyboard is still incomplete.
>
> This "full" layout is also incorrect because the top row has been
> unexpectedly shifted to the right, in order to place the  [Esc] key
> (reducing the [Backspace] at end of row: this row should have been left
> unchanged, placing the [Esc] key at end after the (reduced) Backspace key,
> or just to the right of the [X] icon that closes the touch keyboard panel
> (so that the [Backspace] keeps its size, or in order to place the [Del] key
> at end of this top row)
>
> The placement of [Fn] to the bottom left corner is UI design error (and a
> really bad decision taken by ISO): there should be only THREE keys to the
> left of the [Space bar] (whose size is correct), using larger keys (1.5 x
> 1.0 units) so that the left [Ctrl] remains in the bottom left corner. That
> [Fn] key should better be to the right of the [Space bar].
>
> The "Language" selector button should not be there in the layout  (and
> not in any one of the proposed layouts), it should be in the top bar,
> beside the "layout/option" selector icon in the top-left corner opening a
> popup menu.
>
> Removing the language selector key from the touch layout allows moving the
> arrow keys (in the full layout) to the right, restoring the correct
> position of the Right [Shift] key

The general appearance would then be as  on this image at:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/12t_w7fZZ2RKJho_FW9CbVwgIS8B8WmzX/view?usp=sharing

The [Fn] (virtual) key should also allow typing [PgUp], [PgDown], [Home],
> [End] and [Insert] on existing cursor keys, as seen on the right part of
> this image (I've cut most of the layout of the [Fn] key, where [Fn]+1 gives
> [F1] for example)...

You'll note the keys resized more conventionnaly, [Fn] placed at right
(after the too long Left Shift), the cedilla mapped in fact on [AltGr]+[,],
and the language selector and [Esc] key moved to the title bar, [Del] added
next to [Backspace]

The second [Ctrl] is still there on the bottom right (before the cursor
keys) but not really needed on the touch layout, and can safely be replaced
by the [App/Menu] key.

The top title bar should also be usable (in its current empty dark area) to
place customizable characters or keystrokes, but it could also be prefilled
with common characters used in the selected language... Also when that
touch layout is displayed, pressing any key physical keyboard could reduce
it to only this title bar which could remain on screen as an horizontal
strip, where the prefered keystrokes are still clickable directly, instead
of closing the panel completely (requiring then to click the small icon in
the task bar to reopen it with the full layout only): this can apply to ALL
touch layouts (not just the full layout).

If the touch layout is displayed, it can be docked at the bottom of screen,
or can be floatting, but when it is reduced to just its top title bar
(because we are typing a key on the physical keyboard), it can combine with
the reduced language bar (that you can place at top of the screen over the
title bar of other applications...)