Keyboard layouts and CLDR (was: Re: 0027, 02BC, 2019, or a new character?)

Marcel Schneider via Unicode unicode at unicode.org
Sun Jan 28 21:55:22 CST 2018

On Sun, 28 Jan 2018 14:11:06 -0700, Doug Ewell wrote:

> Marcel Schneider wrote:
>
> > We can only hope that now, CLDR is thoroughly re-engineering the way
> > international or otherwise extended keyboards are mapped.
>
> I suspect you already know this and just misspoke, but CLDR doesn't
> prescribe any vendor's keyboard layouts. CLDR mappings reflect what
> vendors have released.

Sorry I didnʼt see the thread until I replied at the point where it is.
But looking harder I can see that what I meant when trying to input my
concern into the project, is already implied by the wording of the initial
blog post (Mark has shared the link of:
http://blog.unicode.org/2018/01/unicode-ldml-keyboard-enhancements.html
) when it comes to a detailed overview of the goals:

“As a part of this work, keyboards […] provide better layouts overall.”

E.g. a Numbers modifier is required for locales using U+202F NARROW
NO-BREAK SPACE as a thousands separator (and is useful for all others),
while a Programmer toggle is required on keyboards using the upper row
for special letters lower-and uppercase, and is handy for all those that have
dead keys in the righthand part. Windows Vietnamese is one example, and
Michael Kaplan wrote a series of blog posts about it, that you know well:

http://archives.miloush.net/michkap/archive/2005/08/27/457224.html
http://archives.miloush.net/michkap/archive/2005/11/11/491349.html
http://archives.miloush.net/michkap/archive/2007/01/31/1564299.html

I was aware that CLDR is a repository, and now Iʼm amazed how things
go on.

Regards,

Marcel