0027, 02BC, 2019, or a new character?

Shriramana Sharma via Unicode unicode at unicode.org
Wed Jan 24 20:29:11 CST 2018

On 24-Jan-2018 00:25, "Doug Ewell via Unicode" <unicode at unicode.org> wrote:

I think it's so cute that some of us think we can advise Nazarbayev on
whether to use straight or curly apostrophes or accents or x's or
whatever. Like he would listen to a bunch of Western technocrats.

Sir why this assumption that everyone here is "western"? I'm situated at an
even more eastern longitude than Kazakhstan.

An explicitly stated goal of the new orthography was to enable typing
Kazakh on a "standard keyboard," meaning an English-language one.

IMO it's hardly clear that that is or in fact *what* is meant by a standard
keyboard. It meeely seems to me loose political speak to make it appear as
if they are trying to make things simpler for the people.

Nazarbayev may ultimately be persuaded to embrace ASCII digraphs, which
also meet this goal, but this talk about U+2019 and U+02BC will make
exactly zero difference in Kazakh policy.

It shouldn't. At least the technical advisors should be monitoring this
discussion if not participate in it. I know that Govt of India people do,
at least on UnicoRe.