0027, 02BC, 2019, or a new character?

Martin J. Dürst via Unicode unicode at unicode.org
Mon Jan 22 19:52:05 CST 2018

On 2018/01/23 09:55, James Kass via Unicode wrote:

> Any Kazakh/Qazaq student ambitious enough to study a foreign language
> such as English is already sophisticated enough to easily distinguish
> differing digraph values between the two languages.  English speakers
> face distinctions such as the difference between the "ch" in "chigger"
> versus "chiffon" daily without any apparent danger of confusion.

Well, there are many many easier orthographies than English, so I'd
understand if the Kazakh don't want to take English as an example.

> With
> so much push-back, along with technical objections, hopefully the
> government will reconsider the apostrophe situation and go with
> digraphs or diacritics.

I very much hope so too. One way to avoid confusion is to use one
specific letter only as the second letter in digraphs. With the current
orthography, they don't use w and x, so they could use one of these. But
personally, I'd find accents more visually pleasing.

Regards,   Martin.