Internationalised Computer Science Exercises

Frédéric Grosshans via Unicode unicode at unicode.org
Mon Jan 22 11:55:16 CST 2018

Le 22/01/2018 à 17:39, Andre Schappo via Unicode a écrit :

> By way of example, one programming challenge I set to students a
> couple of weeks ago involves diacritics. Please see
> jsfiddle.net/coas/wda45gLp <https://jsfiddle.net/coas/wda45gLp/>
>
> There is huge potential for some really interesting and challenging
> Unicode exercises. If you have any suggestions for such exercises they
> would be most welcome. Email me direct or share on this list.

A simple challenge is to write a function which localize numbers in a
script having decimal digits or parse them (i.e. which have characters
with property Numeric_Type=Decimal, as explained in §4.6 of the Unicode
10 standard). The list of these scripts is specified in table 22-3.
There is usually a most one set of digits/script (with the exception of
Arabic, Myanmar and Tai Tham).

Then, of course, one can look at other numeral systems (CJK, Ethiopic,
Roman, to name a few in contemporaneous use). The section 22.3 of the
Unicode standard is an interesting starting point for these.

A internationalised exercise which doesn’t (always) use unicode is the
localization of separators in numbers: 2¹⁰+π = 1,027.14 in US and 1
027,14 in France. One also should not forget that half a million is
5,00,000 in India. These simple things can be very surprising the first
time you meet them.

   Frédéric