Unifying E_Modifier and Extend in UAX 29 (i.e. the necessity of GB10)

Mark Davis ☕️ via Unicode unicode at unicode.org
Mon Jan 1 09:47:59 CST 2018

This is an interesting suggestion, Manish.

<non-emoji-base, skin tone modifier> is a degenerate case, so if we
following your suggestion we also could drop E_Base and E_Modifier, and
rule GB10.

Instead, we'd add one line to *Extend
<http://www.unicode.org/reports/tr29/tr29-32.html#Extend>:*

OLD
Grapheme_Extend = Yes
*and not* GCB = Virama

NEW
Grapheme_Extend = Yes, or
Emoji characters listed as Emoji_Modifier=Yes in emoji-data.txt. See [UTS51
<http://www.unicode.org/reports/tr41/tr41-21.html#UTS51>].
*and not* GCB = Virama

Note: we are already planning to get rid of the GAZ/EBG distinction (
http://www.unicode.org/reports/tr29/tr29-32.html#GB10) in any event.

Mark