Unicode Digest, Vol 50, Issue 20

Philippe Verdy via Unicode unicode at unicode.org
Tue Feb 27 13:09:38 CST 2018

I bet these bit sets are just for legacy applications depending on these
for detecting support for the scripts encoded in it with a simple test.
I've not seen if there was a standard extension approved for this legacy
bitset.

For detecting support in other scripts not encoded in these bitsets, you'll
need to check that there's sufficient mappings in the relevant blocks (most
of these scripts are not in the BMP and are small enough to be encoded
completely, except possibly extended emojis, musical notations or new
blocks for games  and astrological symbols, and similar, which belong to
special symbolic scripts).

You cannot just enumerate languages present implemented OpenType "features"
tables, as most languages don't need such specific per-language tuning of
the font and just just the default (locale-neutral) set of features and
these per-language tuning are optional, and most often implemented only in
CJK fonts (for script variants: Korean Hanja,  Japanese Kanji, Simplified
and Traditional Hanzi).