Missing Kazakh Latin letters (was: Re: 0027, 02BC, 2019, or a new character?)

Doug Ewell via Unicode unicode at unicode.org
Tue Feb 27 10:29:35 CST 2018

Philippe Verdy wrote:

> The three versions of the Cyrilic letter i is mapped to 1.5
> (distinguished only on lowercase with the Turkic lowercase dotless i,
> but not distinguished on uppercase where there's no dot at all...).
> It should have used two distinct letters at least (I with or without
> acute).

There's another problem. No Latin equivalents are listed for the
Cyrillic letters Ц ц Ъ ъ Ь ь Э э Ю ю Я я, in either the old
charts with apostrophes or the new chart with acutes. These are code
points 0426, 042A, 042C, 042D, 042E, and 042F and corresponding
lowercase.

All of these letters, in lowercase or both, are used in the Kazakh
translation of the UDHR currently available from the "UDHR in Unicode"
project. So either the UDHR translation is wildly incorrect, which seems
unlikely, or the transliteration tables are incomplete.

Wikipedia shows digraphs Iý ıý for Ю ю, and Ia ıa for Я я, and
nothing for the others, though it is not clear where the digraphs came
from, and of course the usual Wikipedia caveats apply.

--
Doug Ewell | Thornton, CO, US | ewellic.org