metric for block coverage

Peter Constable via Unicode unicode at unicode.org
Tue Feb 27 09:36:55 CST 2018

You have clarified what exactly the usage is; you've only asked what it means to cover a script.

James Kass mentioned a font's OS/2 table. That is obsolete: as Khaled pointed out, there has never been a clear definition of "supported" and practice has been inconsistent. Moreover, the available bits were exhausted after Unicode 5.2, and we're now working on Unicode 11. Both Apple and Microsoft have started to use 'dlng' and 'slng' values in the 'meta' table of OpenType fonts to convey what a font can and is designed to support — a distinction that the OS/2 table never allows for, but that is actually more useful. (I'd also point out that, in the upcoming Windows 10 feature update, the 'dlng' entries in fonts is used to determine what preview strings to use in the Fonts settings UI.) For scripts like Latin that have a large set of characters, most of which have infrequent usage, there can still be a challenge in characterizing the font, but the mechanism does provide flexibility in what is declared.

But again, you haven't said what data to put into fonts is your issue. If you are trying to determine whether a given font supports a particular language, the OS/2 and 'meta' table provide heuristics — with 'meta' being recommended; but the only way to know for absolute certain is to compare an exemplar character list for the particular language with the font's cmap table. But note, that can only tell you that a font _is able to support_ the language, which doesn't necessarily imply that it's actually a good choice for users of that language. For example, every font in Windows includes Basic Latin characters, but that definitely doesn't mean that the fonts are useful for an English speaker. This is why the 'dlng' entry in the 'meta' table was created.

Peter