Coloured Characters

William_J_G Overington via Unicode unicode at unicode.org
Thu Feb 22 04:55:23 CST 2018

Richard Wordingham wrote:

> 'Foreground' and 'background' are the only externally defined colours. There's no ability to explicitly choose, say 'text stroked sable and dotted gules'.  Instead, it's 'text stroked sable and dotted proper', with a choice of palettes to define 'proper'.

External selection of decoration colours would theroretically be possible, I do not know how difficult this would be to implement.

I remember posting about that somewhere some years ago but I cannot find it at the moment.

The following thread now mentions that possibility and also has, from 2014, an idea of how to have shading from one colour to another.

https://forum.high-logic.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=5024

In that thread, on 7 June 2014, I wrote as follows.

quote

The standardization process has a rule that if someone (individual or company) puts forward a proposal for standardization, then that person has to agree to provide a working demonstration.

I put forward some ideas for how to extend the COLR/CPAL model so as to provide colour shading of glyphs as well as the existing solid colour.

Yet I could not formally propose them for standardization as I do not have the facilities to provide a working demonstration.

end quote

So the ideas are there and maybe they could be implemented, though alas I cannot implement them myself.

William Overington

Thursday 22 February 2018