Unicode Digest, Vol 50, Issue 13

Janusz S. Bień via Unicode unicode at unicode.org
Sun Feb 18 07:35:00 CST 2018

On Sun, Feb 18 2018 at 14:06 CET, unicode at unicode.org writes:

[...]

> From: Adam Borowski via Unicode <unicode at unicode.org>
> Subject: metric for block coverage
> To: unicode at unicode.org
> Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2018 23:18:25 +0100
> Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2018 23:18:25 +0100 (15 hours, 2 minutes, 28 seconds ago)
>
> Hi!
> As a part of Debian fonts team work, we're trying to improve fonts review:
> ways to organize them, add metadata, pick which fonts are installed by
> default and/or recommended to users, etc.
>
> I'm looking for a way to determine a font's coverage of available scripts.
> It's probably reasonable to do this per Unicode block.  Also, it's a safe
> assumption that a font which doesn't know a codepoint can do no complex
> shaping of such a glyph, thus looking at just codepoints should be adequate
> for our purposes.

As a Debian user using some rare characters for old Polish
transliteration I would be happy with a tool which scans
available/installed fonts for a specific list of characters and shows
only those fonts which support the whole list. Of course showing also
the characters in question would be very desirable.

Best regards

Janusz

--
                           ,
Prof. dr hab. Janusz S. Bien -  Uniwersytet Warszawski (Katedra Lingwistyki Formalnej)