Unicode of Death 2.0

Doug Ewell via Unicode unicode at unicode.org
Sat Feb 17 13:49:34 CST 2018

Manish Goregaokar wrote:

> FWIW I dissected the crashing strings, it's basically all <consonant,
> virama, consonant, zwnj, vowel> sequences in Telugu, Bengali,
> Devanagari where the consonant is suffix-joining (ra in Devanagari,
> jo and ro in Bengali, and all Telugu consonants), the vowel is not
> Bengali au or o / Telugu ai, and if the second consonant is ra/ro the
> first one is not also ra/ro (or ro-with-line-through-it).
>
> https://manishearth.github.io/blog/2018/02/15/picking-apart-the-crashing-ios-string/

Thanks for this very detailed and informative blog post. It's certainly
better than "probably not a bug of Unicode," implying an outside chance
that it might be.

I've linked Manish's post on FB as a reply to one of those mainstream
articles that repeatedly calls the conjunct a "single character,"
written by a staffer who couldn't be bothered to find out how a writing
system used by 78 million people works.

--
Doug Ewell | Thornton, CO, US | ewellic.org