End of discussion, please — Re: Why so much emoji nonsense?

Anshuman Pandey via Unicode unicode at unicode.org
Thu Feb 15 23:33:58 CST 2018

> On Feb 15, 2018, at 10:58 PM, Pierpaolo Bernardi via Unicode <unicode at unicode.org> wrote:
>
> On Fri, Feb 16, 2018 at 4:26 AM, James Kass via Unicode
> <unicode at unicode.org> wrote:
>
>> The best time to argue against the addition of emoji to Unicode would be
>> 2007 or 2008, but you'd be wasting your time travel.  Trust me.
>
> But it's always a good time to argue against the addition of more
> nonsense to what we already have got.

I think it’s a good time to end this conversation. Whether ‘nonsense’ or not, emoji are here and they’re in Unicode. This conversation has itself become nonsense, d’y’all agree?

The amount of time that people have spent on this discussion could’ve been directed towards work on any one of the unencoded scripts listed at:

 http://www.linguistics.berkeley.edu/sei/scripts-not-encoded.html

As many have noted during this discussion, the emoji “ship has already sailed”. I’d’ve jumped aboard sooner, but this metaphor is now also quite tired. ��

All my best,
Anshu