Why so much emoji nonsense?

James Kass via Unicode unicode at unicode.org
Wed Feb 14 13:14:22 CST 2018

Alastair Houghton wrote,

> ...but they were definitely within the scope of the
> Unicode project as encoding them provides interoperability.

That's one way of looking at it.  Another way would be that the emoji
were definitely outside the scope of the Unicode project as encoding
them violated Unicode's initial encoding principles.

The opposition was strong, but resistance was futile.  Anyone
interested in the arguments made at the time should check the Unicode
public list archives in late 2008 and early 2009.  Here's the link for
January 2009:
http://www.unicode.org/mail-arch/unicode-ml/y2009-m01/index.html

Surprisingly, though, I have found at least one roundabout use for the
emoji.  When reading message boards and comment pages I've found that
it's quite simple to skip any messages which are peppered with emoji
without missing anything of substance.

As far as interoperability goes, there's scads of emoji in the wild
which aren't currently in Unicode.  Every kind of hobby or interest
seems to generate emoji specific to that area of interest.