Thoughts on working with the Emoji Subcommittee (was Re: Thoughts on Emoji Selection Process)

William_J_G Overington via Unicode unicode at unicode.org
Fri Aug 24 14:09:37 CDT 2018

Julian Bradfield wrote:

> Not that I want to hear any more about William's unmentionables; I just wish emoji were equally unmentionable.

Well, as you mention them perhaps the moderator will allow the following, particularly as it relates to Japanese and Japanese has been mentioned elsewhere in this thread.

In Chapter 34 of my novel there is a poem and it is at one time described as being performed in Japanese.

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~ngo/localizable_sentences_the_novel_chapter_034.pdf

I know almost nothing about Japanese, yet as Japanese script is so very different from Latin script I feel that it provides a good test to include in my research. I am trying to learn more about Japanese so replies to this post are welcome please.

I wondered about round-tripping the poem from English to Japanese and back to English.

So I tried two experiments, designed so that the round-tripping was specifically not using the same translation method in each of the two directions.

Experiment one. English to Japanese in Bing Translate and then copy and paste so as to translate from Japanese to English using Google Translate.

Experiment two. English to Japanese in Google Translate and then copy and paste so as to translate from Japanese to English using Bing Translate.

These worked well.

Experiment two had the additional benefit of a lady reading out the poem.

I am wondering if Chapter 34 could be the basis for a short play as part of the evening entertainment at the Internationalization & Unicode® Conference (IUC) 42, with the parts played by various delegates to the conference.

That could be great and maybe a video could be made of the performance and the video published.

The performance of the poem in Japanese could be spectacular.

Clearly, expert translation would be needed so as to have a good show.

William Overington

Friday 24 August 2018